this is my sometime

sometimes you need a kick in the pants if you want to pursue your dreams.  and that's exactly what i needed and got from my husband last year on my birthday.  for the last couple of years i've desired longed yearned for a change in my professional life.  like the kind of career change that requires becoming a part time student again and eventually creating my own company and working for myself.  but here's the thing: i've got a few things on the go right, like life.  we're a happy little family of five (husband and i, two mini people and a hamster) and we love to do family fun stuff.  things like camping and playing, skiing and swimming.  i've got a husband that i really like hanging out with and doing things with like scuba diving and going out for dinners we get to eat when they are hot. and i also have a full time career as a middle school teacher.

but i also have this passion for designing and creating beautiful family friendly interiors that can make a house into a home.  in my dream world i get to do this for my career in lieu of teaching.  not that i don't love teaching, my passion has just shifted.  my husband and i have built two homes (not literally) and enjoyed, for the most part, the entire process.  all the changes we made to our floor plans, lighting choices, vanities, sinks, paint colours, plumbing fixtures and furnishings excited and interested both of us.  particularly me.  i started looking at the items we put into our home more closely.  do they represent who we are as people?  as a family?  because really one's home should reflect who you are and how you live.  who and what is important to you.  be that comfortable place that brings you a sense of calm, security and, well, that sense of home.

now i'm no expert and until recently no training what-so-ever. (more on that later)  i don't feel that there are any rules when it comes "decorating" your home.  i use "decorating" because really isn't it just a fancy word for making that house you own or rent feel more like your space?  more like your home?  more like you?

so that's where this blog comes in.  i like to write, i have my fair share of journals and sketchbooks.  my hope is that design soup will be that little spot on the inter-web where i can write and share our journey of turning the house we had built into our home.  and although this blog isn't fully set up, there's no time like right now to get it started.



welcome to design soup. 







No comments :

Post a Comment